The Brothers Karamazov [1st English translation]
$12,500.00 inc GST
By Fyodor Dostoevsky
First English translation (Constance Garnett, 1912)
- Fyodor Dostoevsky’s classic novel, translated in full into English for the first time by Constance Garnett [William Heinemann, London, 1912]; xii, 838pp + colophon.
- The first book in what would become Garnett’s epic complete translations of The Novels Of Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- Original publisher’s red boards with embossed pattern on front board and Heinemann logo to rear; black embossed pattern and titling to spine; some bumping to extremities with minor damage to top of spine; pencil on front board; lightly-pencilled ownership details on ffep; Printed by Ballantyne & Co.
- Rare First Complete English Translation (1st UK) in very good condition [one of three known variant bindings with no definite priority established].
- An excellent copy of the book many view to be the world’s greatest work of Literature.