The Australian Dream: Design Of The Fifties
Edited by Judith O’Callaghan
Wonderful overview of domestic life in 1950s Australia
- Book accompanying exhibition held in 1993 at the Powerhouse Museum [Powerhouse Publishing, Sydney, 1993]
- Illustrated card covers; 183pp inc index; a fine copy
- Includes promo sheet for exhibition
- The exhibition [also entitled The Australian Dream] sought to capture “the feel of a 1950s home show” where attendees could see models & other displays that might have commonly appeared at an expo in the ’50s. The resultant book, with contributions from various experts in fields of architecture, decor, gardening, fashion, crafts, graphic design & commercial photography, is a wonderful time capsule of Australia’s post-war boom decade. Delightful!
- ISBN: 1 86317 035 9 / 1863170359