A Friend In The Kitchen [1st Ed]
By Mrs Anna L. Colcord
First Printing of this early vegetarian cookery book
- Full title: A Friend in the Kitchen: Or What to Cook and How to Cook it. Containing about 400 choice recipes carefully tested; Together with plain directions on healthful cookery; how to can fruit; a week?s menu; proper food combinations; rules for dyspeptics; food for infants; simple dishes for the sick; wholesome drinks; useful tables on nutritive values of foods, time required to digest food, weights and measures for the Kitchen, etc.
- Rare First Edition [Echo Publishing, Melbourne, 1898] of this early Australian cookbook; 128pp; illustrated blue paper over card covers, some creasing, inner front hinge taped; a very good copy
- Predates American edition printed the following year
- An early Vegetarian cookbook including chapters? on ?Substitutes For Meats? & ?How To Become A Vegetarian?
- Anna Colcord & her husband Willard were Seventh-day Adventists from the United States. During their stay, the Adventists established the Sanitarium Health Food Company, which continues today & produces Weet-Bix cereal